1,2Km from our office!
The Monument to the Discoveries (in Portuguese “Padrão do Descobrimentos”) was first erected in 1940, in a temporary form, as part of the Portuguese World Exhibition. Built with perishable materials, it had a light iron and cement frame, while the moulded sculpture was made of gypsum (formed of plaster and burlap, and reinforced by a wooden and iron structure).
The monument was reconstructed in 1960 to mark 500 years since the death of the Infante Dom Henrique (Henry the Navigator). This time it was made of concrete and rose-tinted Leiria stone masonry, with the sculptures made of Sintra limestone masonry.